I for one do not think I would have survived child birth in the Stone Age! How did people live without an Epidural and disposable diapers?
The other day I went to the video store, and I saw a movie “Motherhood” with Uma Thurman playing a mother of two, living in an apartment with her husband, two young children and their dog. She takes you on a ride of her crazy day, dodging mommy politics at the park, planning her daughters amazing 6th birthday party, and doing all those things that should not seem complicated but add kids and it turns upside down while trying to write an article for a local writing competition titled “What does motherhood mean to you?”. It defiantly was not the funniest movie I ever saw but it got me thinking, what does Motherhood mean to me?
My - like many of you mommy’s out there - day involves ; making bottles, cleaning the house, doing dishes, picking up toys, doing the laundry laundry and more laundry, making dinner, singing non-sense songs and having conversations with a 9 month old all day long, grocery shopping… the list goes on. You know how it is! You wake up with a list of seeming mundane and simple things to do, like clean the house, but throw a baby in the mix and everything takes three times as long and now has to be schedules between nap time / snack time/ food time/ play time. And to top this crazy life there are all these books “What to expect the first year” and “Baby Wise” to name just a couple MUST READ AND OBEY books according to everyone out there(whoever everyone is). They are enough to drive any well meaning first time mom CRAZY with all do’s and Don’ts. And if that’s not enough, we have every other well-meaning mommies telling you how to raise your baby too.
Some days I think, “GOSH…. I didn’t go to school for 4 years to become a maid did I???” Is this what motherhood is all about? But then those moments happen that make it all more-than worthwhile – you know those moments that you sit back and smile with pride to be Mommy. Those sweet slobbery kisses, that little voice coming from the back seat of the car singing himself to sleep while driving home. The little shouts coming from his crib to tell you “I’m wake, come and get me” and the huge smile when you walk in. It’s taking the time to sing your baby to sleep. Bath time full of splashes and smiles that leave the floor covered in water. Leaving the dishes to play with your baby and listening to that cute laugh. Watching your baby eat banana and throw it all over the floor while squealing with excitement. Seeing him reach his mile stones and then look at you as if to say “Mom, did you see that.” Being a mom is the best job in the world! In my wildest dreams I didn’t think I would think I would enjoy being a full-time mommy! But now that I am I would not have it any other way! To all you amazing mom’s out there – keep looking at those little moments! And find joy in motherhood because they grow up so fast – he’s almost 1…. Sob!
I'm C Blanche and I'm not a mother but I am always right, even if I'm wrong.
1 day ago


No comments:
Post a Comment