03 November, 2011

Peru: Day 5

As far as traveling goes, day 5 was much better than day 4! We left our hotel early, early in the morning to leave on a plane to Cusco. One step closer to seeing Machu Picchu! The plane ride there was an absolute pleasure. Every seat looked like a first class seat, there was lots of leg room, and we even got a meal. Can you tell I usually fly cattle class? Yip- this was great! Plus it was only about an hour and a half flight. 

Cusco is absolutely beautiful! And the weather couldn't have been more perfect either! From the airport, we dropped our bags off at the hotel and went exploring. 

This is a view of the town square, Plaza de Armas. Cusco was quite different to Huancayo. We were the only tourists there, and in Cusco we were just one of many! This little park area in the middle is surrounded by shops, restaurants, and Cathedrals with little side streets that host the same. The buildings, plazas, in and near the city center still retain the structure of pre-Columbian times.

Cusco was another place in Peru I could never exercise in. The elevation is about 3,300 metres (about 10,000 feet) above sea level. 

"Oh, hi guys"

One of the beautiful Churches! I am pretty sure this one is the Church of la Merced. 

This is the Cathedral of Santo Domingo (again- I'm not 100%, but pretty sure). This was the first Cathedral built in Cusco in 1539. 

Stunning right?

Another shot. Loving the blue skies! 

This lady was selling Peruvian popcorn. Of course she had her daughter with her to help out! 

Dressed in the traditional garb... Cute hey?

Ok. So the below picture is a funny story. Reese was pretty much over his pig sickness. Wyatt would feel a little sick on occasion, but I think it's because of the 8 different parasites in his stomach... Anyways, Jon ate the pork the day before at lunch. Bad move. He was not 100% the next day at all and had to go to the chemist to get some medicine. We had gotten lunch and somehow Jon's medicine had landed up in the rubbish bin and guess who was the lucky one to fish it out? Yip, Wyatt picked the shortest straw!  

Looking a little homeless... It was so funny! 

And thats my husband, peeps!

Inside one of the Cathedrals: 

I am pretty sure this Cathedral is called the Church of la Compania. I probably should have taken better notes while we were there! 

View down one of the narrow streets:

And me... posing down the narrow street. 
Speaking of me. I'm great right? Ha ha. Just kidding! I did get a bit sick while we were in Peru though. I don't want you people thinking I made it through the trip unscathed! However, Triana did. She has an iron stomach for sure! My sickness was somewhat self-inflicted. You see we ate a lot of meat and potatoes. And before we went to Peru, I was staying away from a lot of meat. So I think the enormous amount of red meat in my system was making me... how do I put this nicely... um, constipated. Terribly so! Yep. I know, TMI. And with that, I had Wyatt go to the chemist for me to get some medicine to you know... help out! I took whatever he got and unfortunately the "meat" and whatever else starting going through my system really fast. Too fast. So I took something else to counteract the other medicine and I was back to my original problem... And the cycle continued for most of the rest of the trip. Cool hey? Not!  Anyways, that's my sickness story!

We got passes to see the different museums in Cusco. I don't have any pictures in the actual museums because photography wasn't allowed. They were small, but worth it!

The group making our way to different museums!

This building is called the Coricancha. It's was a sanctuary dedicated to the Sun God, Inti, at the time of the Inca Empire. 

Posing by the Coricancha:

Can you tell Wyatt is loving holding that little lamb? He's posing with some girls wearing traditional Cusco clothing!

So, so happy!

A few more views of the Coricancha and Convent of Santo Domingo:



From back to front: Reesey, Wyatt, Mom, and Dad

From site seeing the city, we went back to our hotel to relax (and feel better) before we went out to dinner. We landed up eating at an Italian-esque restaurant. I know, I know... Italian in Peru? Like I said earlier, we had been eating way too much meat and potatoes. 

Stay tuned for day 6- my personal favourite- Machu Picchu!

2 comments:

Danielle and Trev said...

This is so great!! Love it. Just stumbled over your blog. Following now, so cute!!!

Hillery said...

Despite what you say, that food looks not so good. That pic of Reese is so sad/hilarious. I'm a mean sister!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...