So it's almost been two months since we were in Peru. I know- that's how good of a blogger I am. It's just been a crazy [fun] whirlwind of a summer. And yes, it's still summer in Arizona even though it's supposed to be Autumn. I even wore jeans and a button-up polo today to try and convince the weather to get cooler, but it was still 100+ (38 cels).
Anyways, on to Peru!
Wyatt, Reesey's brother, served a 2-year mission for our Church in Peru and we decided to go pick him up. Reese and I arrived first after the longest flight ever (Jon and Triana to follow later in the evening)! I know this, because I've made the 30+ hour trip to South Africa often enough! We flew from Phoenix to Hermosillo to Mexico City and then finally to Lima. What made the flight there extra long, was the 10 hour layover we had in Mexico City. All I have to say about that, is thank goodness they have good Mexican food there.
Flying into Hermosillo:
"Don't take my photos"
Flying into Mexico City:
Finally on the last leg to Lima!
We finally arrived into Lima around 11 am and went straight to get the rental car. I can't remember why, but it took about 2 hours for the lady at Hertz to get us the rental. Slow start, and we were tired!
Reesey happy to be in Lima. Little did he know that driving in Peru is a complete death trap!
"Thank goodness for GPS's"... This is what we were thinking when we started driving. First of all, there is complete lawlessness on the roads in Peru. Those white lines, pretend they aren't there. Red robot? Lets just call that a stop street. Turn lane only? Oh, I think I'll go straight and almost kill everyone in the car next to me. And you see how the GPS says our arrival to the hotel should be 1:34 pm? Well, we didn't land up getting to the hotel around 3 pm, no thanks to this little guy. We eventually found the temple, which we knew was near our hotel. And from there we found a security guard who showed us where the hotel was.
And here we have the beautiful landscape that is Lima. It's really like any other huge city in the world. Just a tad third world in most parts. I guess you could compare it to downtown Jo'burg. Some parts are OK, some parts are not!
Notice how no one is actually in a lane in this picture....
And thats a motorcycle with a covering and a backseat to make it a taxi...
More views of the city:
And once we finally got to the hotel, guess who was there waiting for us?!? ELDER S! Check that boy out! Him and Reese were like two little girls who hadn't seen each other in a while.
After the initial shock and happiness of finally seeing him, we went to go get some lunch.
See the squatters on the mountains?
And the shenanigans begin:
Before lunch, we stopped by the one of the church buildings in Lima (Reese and I, still un-showered-- gross) to visit with some of Wyatt's missionary friends. So of course we had to snap a few pictures. I thought we stood out like sore thumbs (which we did) being blonde in Peru... could you imagine being a red head in a sea of dark haired Peruvians? And please notice my hair slowly growing thanks to the awesome humidity they have there.
and growing...
And finally, a delicious Peruvian lunch: Inca cola, chicken, and chips. We sorta avoided the salad to bypass anytime of food sickness.
Wy and his companion:
It was a good first day in Peru. We were dead tired though, so once we said bye to Wyatt for the evening we went back to our hotel for a little nap before driving back to the airport to fetch Jon and Triana (MIL and FIL).
The room:
Yip, separate beds for the four of us! But it was OK, we were all so dead tired it was probably a good thing. Let the amazing trip begin!
Stay tuned for day 2!
5 comments:
Wow day one. What a first day. Love that pollo and inca kola though. Great post!
Sounds awesome - just a pity about the long flights - those things are killers!!
looking forward to hearing more about it - glad you're posting again :)
Courtney, can I just say that I LOVE it when you bloog. LOVE It!!
My husbands WHOLE family are from Peru. You think you stick out? Try sticking out at EVERY family event. haha!! I have not been to Peru yet, so I just love reading this post. Isn't Inca cola amazing? We drink it all the time in our house. Im off to read part 2 now!
Love love love Inca cola!! :)
Post a Comment