30 October, 2011

Peru: Day 4

Day 4 was one of those days. You know the type of day that you hope flies by! Reese had been up the night before, sicker than I've ever seen him, thanks to (yep- you guessed it) the pig! He got no sleep and neither did I! Man, he was miserable. The rest of use felt pretty good though. Unfortunately for Reese, day 4 was pachamanca day. A day he was really looking forward to! What's pachamanca you ask? Scroll down through the pictures to check it out. It's a long, all morning process just to eat lunch, but it's really good! We met at the missionaries house to make the food with a couple of Wyatt's favourite families. 

For breakfast we got some fruit, knowing that we were going to be over-dosing on red meat and potatoes in a few short hours... I decided I don't like little banana's. They are actually quite gross. Cute, but gross!

Here is the start of meal prep: The hot stones are placed on this welded contraption over the fire to heat up for about 2 hours or so. 

It was a cold, rainy day in the mountains that day, so the fire felt so good! 


Once the rocks got hot enough, you shovel them off the metal rack to the side of the pit. 

Wyatt helping out: 

This is a good shot of what the rock holder thing looks like: 

Then the potatoes are put over the coals first, because as we all know... potatoes take a long time to cook! Triana took most of these pictures. (Thank you!) I was sleeping nursing Reese while he tried to get some rest in the car. 

Then you lay some rocks over the potatoes, then lay some meat over that. Yes, that red stuff is meat. And as Reese asked me just now "So those dirty rocks cook the meat?". Yes, the dirty rocks cook the meat. Pork and lamb seasoned in some special stuff. 

And the process continues till all the meat is in the pit. 

And once that is done, cover everything with the remaining rocks. 

And last but not least, the sweet corn tamales go on top. 


Not sure paper was the safest thing to put on burning rocks/coal, but it worked I guess! Cover the stuff up!

Then cover the pit completely with dirt. 

I guess everyone thought Jon could do it by himself! Go Dad!

Please notice his hand around his stomach. Sad story right? Poor Reesey spending his day in the car and feeling quite miserable. 

Street views of the area the missionaries live in:




He's cute right? This was one of the member's little boy. Don't let him deceive you with his cute face. He turned out to be rather devilish! His name is TK. 

Wyatt trying to trick the little boys into liking him with sweets! :)

This little guy was the absolute cutest! His name is Joanquin. 

And finally, after starting the pachamanca at about 8am, they checked to see if it was ready to eat about 6 hours later. 


Waiting!

This sweet little girl is Joanquin's older sister. Her name is Josiann. Don't you just want to pinch her cheeks? She's all smiles for Triana. 

Beautiful little Peruvian:

Close up of Joanquin:

And the little monster who kept trying to hit the camera out of my hand, TK. 

The boys getting a little impatient for food!

Wyatt working his magic Spanish. 

Josiann and Wyatt in deep conversation:

Still waiting patiently for food!

So cute!


Getting read to uncover the food!

Look at that! 

Once again, trying to get the camera.... 

But I finally got a smile!

Separating the food into dishes:

Looks a little messy hey?

Can you spot the meat?

Jon trying (successfully for the most part) to speak Spanish to Josiann. 

She's probably thinking "I have absolutely no idea what you're saying"

And finally, at almost 3pm, we got ready to eat! The way they are setting up the pachamanca is exactly how it's supposed to be eaten. No plates, no cutlery, no nothing! 


Patiently waiting!


Look at all that food! Incredible right? 

The group, eating away! You use your hands and just have at it! I have to say the food was really good. The potatoes were divine- especially the sweet potatoes. I especially loved the lamb. Best lamb I've probably ever had! Triana and I decided we would avoid the pork given Reese's current condition in the car. Jon and Wyatt partook though... Probably not the best idea! 

They made this delicious fresh salsa sauce to dip the food in. It was really good and spicy. We ate and ate and ate. And when we were stuffed to the brim, we were told to eat more. So to be good sports, we ate some more. 

See that purple stuff Wyatt is pouring? That's homemade chicha morada. It's a corn based drink and it's revolting. Seriously. It tastes like medicine.

The elders who spent the day with us! 

The damage. Doesn't look like much, but I ate an enormous amount. And please notice my full cup of chicha. So gross man! I snuck mine over to Wyatt's plate. 

We were in a bit of a rush after lunch because we had to make the 29 9+ hour drive back to Lima on the one lane highway from hell, so we quickly took some pictures before departing. 

These children had never seen a blonde person in their life, so Triana and I were quite the hit among the kids. Josiann kept asking me (in Spanish mind you) to plait my hair like hers. 

Pay not attention to my dirty hair or lack of make-up... 

I must have reminded them of their barbie dolls with my long hair because thats what I was referred as. Never mind actual name...

The kids absolutely adored Wyatt. When I look at his face in this picture though, I have to wonder why... 


And the group pictures begin! 




Jon, Triana, Wyatt, and the Acevedo Familia. 

I think this is also the Acevedo Family. (Brothers) 



Reese was feeling so bad, and hot in the car, he had his pants unbuttoned. No big deal right? Wrong! The families had come outside to say bye to him. Caught a bit off guard hey, Reesey?

Wondering what's going on!

Saying cheers in Spanish. 

Wyatt giving his last goodbyes to the kids!


And one last picture on our way out of Huancayo. The ever so famous wide-brimmed hat and plaits of the mountain woman. We had a great time in the little mountain region. It was so cool to see the people Wyatt got to spend his time with for almost a year and to explore the city with him. 

The ride back to Lima was long. And that evil road was just as bad. We almost died several times (couple of almost head on collisions with trucks), but thanks to safe driving from Jon, we made it back to the city in one piece. When we finally found the hotel, which was the nicest one we'd stay at, we landed up being able to sleep for about 3-4 hours before we had to rush over to the airport to fly to Cuzco. That is a recipe for 5 cranky, sleep deprived, people. 
But thats a story for day 5... 

3 comments:

Nuestra Familia said...

That is some yummy food Barbie:) I love all the pictures of the Huancayo kids and step by step cooking. How long did the food cook?

Ruby said...

Have a I told you already that you should be a travel blooger? Really, your stories are riveting and I don't know anyone in your blog posts but you :-)

Anonymous said...

So much fun to read! I agree, you should be a travel booger, I mean blooger...
I can't believe they bury the food... so strange...
Love Mindy Hulbert... Roy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...