09 August, 2012

Exercising Throughout Pregnancy

Throughout this pregnancy, I have made a big point to keep exercising and not eat for two, because lets be honest, you aren't supposed to eat for two anyways. They say to add 300 calories to your intake each day which lands up being just an extra snack during the day. So I have been pretty good about eating well and exercising everyday since I pasted the dreaded morning sickness. 

So far, I have put on about 9kg's and am feeling pretty good about it. For a while I stressed every time I went to a check-up because I have been so worried about weight gain. Lets just say I don't do well gaining weight. I obviously had to come to grips with the fact that I was going to put on weight, and I did. So it's all good now, but I am still making sure that I stay aware of how much weight I put on and to stay in the "green" as far as healthy weight gain goes.  

I also noticed that eating well and exercising often during my pregnancy has definitely helped keep my changing moods in check. It keeps me happier and a lot less moody (great for Reese). I have also been lucky to not get any crazy cravings for unhealthy foods. In fact, I usually love dessert and since becoming pregnant I haven't really cared for dessert after dinner or for something sweet. This has been great for my teeth and body. 

Here are some of my favourite things to eat/drink:
Vegetable juice
Banana's
Blackberries
Steel cut oats
Almond butter and jam sprouted grain sandwiches
Carrot and cucumber salads
Vegetable wraps
Sweet potato

I haven't really liked eating meat all the much and my meal sizes are significantly smaller (I blame the baby taking up all my stomach space on that one). 

Of course I do love to still eat out on the weekends and that includes the unhealthy indulgences. But during the week I try stay pretty strict with myself. 

As far as exercise goes, I have been loving going to the pool lately and swimming laps. It's definitely nothing hectic... nowadays I seem to move at a snails pace, but it takes a lot of weight off the rest of my body so it feels great! I have also been loving the bike and treadmill. I have had to lay off the treadmill and eliptical for the last 3 weeks due to this horrible lower back pain that has made it difficult to even walk. But it seems to be getting a little better now thanks to physio and prenatal massages. I have also been able to continue my weight lifting routine... I just use lighter weights and do more reps. And then of course I have been absolutely loving prenatal yoga. I not only get to stretch and just breath and relax for an hour, I learn a lot too. I know a lot of people think birth plans are stupid, but I don't. And going to prenatal yoga has helped me come up with a birth plan that makes me comfortable and will help get me through actually having this baby. 

So I have been really happy with how my body has been able to cope with this pregnancy so far. Yes, I  walk like a penguin now and even limp a bit thanks to my back pain... but other than that I feel great! Less than 6 weeks to go and hopefully all the exercise and eating will help my body spring back after the baby is here. 

1 comment:

Hillery said...

Loving the Hawaii pics! What a fabulous little trip! And that list of maternity clothes good to know. I always end up buying a bunch of stuff at the beginning and realize that I never used at the end. You are still looking great! What are you doing with all your free time now that Reese is away?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...